Looking for ideas on what to do during a full moon? Harness the power of this luminous celestial event for your personal growth and transformation with these tips!
Understanding Full Moon Energy
The full moon is a powerful time of heightened energy on the spiritual planes, which makes it a powerful time for spiritual practices, making positive changes, and claiming the potential for deepening in your spiritual awakening.
There are many ways to harness the powerful energy around the full moon, from meditation, full moon rituals, energy cleansing, or simply spending time outside beneath the light of the full moon.
By consciously tapping into the potential around the full moon, you can gain clarity and insight, release what is no longer serving you, and move forward with a renewed sense of purpose and direction to empower your life, spiritual growth and awakening journey.
How Is Full Moon Energy Significant for Spiritual Growth?
The full moon is an incredibly powerful time for spiritual growth and awakening. The energy of the full moon can bring an intensity, as it supports you releasing old patterns, beliefs, and emotions that are no longer serving you.
The time around the full moon is also well known to be a time of amplified intuition, which can make it easier to receive the guidance of your spirit guides and higher self, and gain insight and guidance into your next steps.
A Time of Heightened Emotions
So, if you find yourself feeling emotionally charged or challenged during a full moon, remember to breathe, ground and stay present.
Remember that you are not your emotions and as you stay present, and centered, allowing yourself to feel your emotions fully without judgment and without spiraling into thought patterns or stories about what the emotion means … You powerful emotional healing and awareness.
What to Do During the Full Moon
Full Moon Ritual
Looking to harness the power of the full moon for manifestation and personal growth? A Full Moon Ritual is a wonderful way to use lunar energies to magically attract more love, money, and success into your life.
Learn how to manifest your deepest desires under the power of the Full Moon in my Full Moon Ritual Book! You can get it 100% Free here today:
The Power of Staying Present
Staying present and grounded in the moment, will not only help you to navigate emotional energies, but also to fully harness the power and potential for growth, magic and awakening full moons bring.
One way to stay present is to practice mindfulness meditation, where you simply observe your thoughts, feelings and sensations, and stay focused on your breath and being fully present in the moment.
Meditation during the full moon is known to be a powerful practice in many spiritual traditions. The heightened energy around the full moon can help to amplify the power of your meditation and increase your spiritual awareness.
Some people also choose to practice specific types of meditation during the full moon, such as a guided full moon meditation, mantra meditation, or visualization.
Whatever method you choose, remember to approach your meditation with an open mind and heart to empower yourself in accessing the inner guidance of your higher self, and spirit guides, and angels to empower and support your spiritual journey.
Amidst full moons, moon gazing is a wonderful practice. Find a quiet place where you can see the moon clearly.
Sit comfortably and focus your gaze on the moon. As you gaze at the moon, allow your mind to become still and peaceful, your eyes to relax and your awareness to open. Don't try to make anything specific happen, just stay present and aware, observing what you feel, see and experience.
You may want to set an intention or say a prayer to connect with the energy of the moon, or your guides and angels and allow the glow of the moonlight to reveal whatever will most serve you now.
Creating or Decorating An Altar
An altar is a sacred space where you can connect with the divine amidst the amplified energy of the full moon, and is a common component of a moon ritual. You can use any surface as an altar, such as a table, a shelf, a windowsill, or even outside on a rock, tree stump or at the base of a tree.
Decorate your altar with items that have spiritual significance to you, such as crystals, candles, flowers, symbols or pictures. You may wish to have items to represent the 5 elements, or specific guides or angels you wish to work with.
If you are setting specific intentions for what you would like to manifest, fill your altar with symbols that represent this manifestation coming into being.
Full moons are a great time for inner reflection and contemplation. Taking the time to reflect and put your thoughts and feelings into writing in a journey can empower you to connect with your inner self, and gain clarity and insight into your thoughts, emotions, and behaviors as well as what it is you now value and wish to prioritize in your life.
You may find it helpful and empowering to write down what you want to let go of and what you now want to manifest and call forth in your life.
You can also reflect on your spiritual journey and explore your intentions for the next lunar cycle in your journal.
Journal about questions like:
What actions can I take to manifest my goals?
What do I sense is blocking my progress or holding me back?
Where am I authentically showing up in my life, and where am I still striving to fit in or wearing masks?
What do I value most in my life at this point?
What new projects do I want to focus on in this next cycle of life?
Reflecting in a journal can be a powerful way to gain clarity and insight into your spiritual journey.
Oracle Card Readings
Choose a deck that resonates with you, call in your team of spirit guides, and ask for guidance on how to support your intentions in manifesting. You can also use oracle or tarot cards to gain clarity on any issues that may be challenging you in your life.
I share a specific card spread to use during a full moon ritual in my FREE Full Moon Ritual eBook here. >>
Working with Crystals and Stones
Crystals and stones can amplify intentions you set under energy of the full moon.
Choose crystals that you resonate with and place them outside, preferably on the Earth and under the moonlight to charge them, then work with your crystals, consciously connected with them with respect and gratitude, asking the stones to amplify and empower your intentions to manifest with divine grace in your life.
You can also hold full moon crystals during meditation or carry them with you throughout the day to help you stay centered, present and open during the full moon energy.
Making Full Moon Water
Full moon water is charged with the energy of the moon and can be used for cleansing and purification. Place a glass jar of spring water outside under the full moon and let it charge overnight.
Once the water is charged, you can use it to cleanse your crystals, tools, and even yourself or your home by putting some moon water in a little spray bottle and misting your body and space.
Candle magic is a powerful way to manifest your intentions during the full moon. Choose a candle color that corresponds with your intention and light it during your ritual. Visualize your intention coming to fruition as the candle burns. You can also carve symbols or words into the candle to further amplify its energy.
Full Moon Bath
Taking a Full Moon bath is one of my favorite relaxing and recharging rituals. At it's simplest, a full moon bath involves simply taking a cleansing bath during the full moon.
But what makes it extra magical, is creating a sacred space within your bathroom by dimming the lights, you may wish to light candles, burn a lovely incense, play some beautiful music, and or listen to a full moon meditation to create a magical, relaxing and soothing atmosphere.
You may also wish to add salts, or essential oils to the water to amplify the energetic cleansing effect of the water.
While in the bath, take a few moments to practice presence, awareness, and mindfulness as you practice deep breathing, consciously letting go of all that no longer serves you, and calling forth specific energies to support your intentions and what you desire to manifest.
There are many ways to do a gratitude practice, such as writing down all you have to be grateful for, visualizing a very specific experience you're grateful for and letting that energy build and charge your aura and energy, or simple saying a prayer of thanksgiving for the many blessings in your life .
Expressing gratitude is immensely powerful .
What NOT to do during the full moon:
While the full moon is a powerful time of heightened energy and manifestation, there awesome things that are best to avoid during this time. Here are a few examples:
The full moon can amplify emotions, so it's important to avoid negative self-talk or self-criticism during this time. Instead, focus on staying neutral. If you're feeling emotional, observe what thoughts and stories are spiraling through your mind. Know that you are not these negative thoughts, and shift your thinking with positive affirmations and self-love.
The full moon can make many people feel impulsive or restless, this is actually where the word “lunacy” comes from, as it refers to the crazy behavior people are sometimes swept up in around the Full Moon. Remember that is is a heightened energy time and resist the urge to make impulsive decisions or take actions that may have negative consequences. The Full Moon is also said to be the phase of the lunar cycle where Emergency Rooms become the busiest, so take care and make thoughtful decisions.
The full moon energy may increase your desire for indulgence. Keeping this mind can help you to practice moderation and avoid overindulging in food, alcohol, or other substances.
Overall, it's important to be mindful during the full moon and avoid behaviors or actions that may have negative consequences. Instead, focus on self-care, positive energy, and thoughtful decision-making.
Empowering Your Full Moon Rituals Throughout the Year
Looking to add some variety to your full moon rituals? Consider incorporating the traditional meanings of the full moons into your practice.
Each full moon carries a unique energy, depending on when it falls during the year. Here's a breakdown of the traditional meanings:
- Wolf Moon (January): Named for the howling wolves that fill the silent nights of this winter season with their voices. Now is a great time for reflection, letting go of the old and gathering with your pack of friends and family for a moon circle.
- Snow Moon (February): This moon is named as such, because now is the snowiest time of year in most places. Use this time to go deep within, and to focus on stepping up your inner reflection, self love and self-care.
- Worm Moon (March): The worm moon is when the earth is just beginning to wake up and shift towards spring. A good time to become aware of all that has been stirring and transforming within you this winter. Release what no longer serves as you prepare for new beginnings.
- Pink Moon (April): The Pink Moon is named after the pink flowers that bloom in the spring. This is a time of renewal, growth, and new beginnings. It's a great time to connect with nature, charge your magical tools, and set intentions related to creativity, passion, and love.
- Flower Moon (May): Named after the blooming flowers of spring, this is a time of celebrating growth, beauty and renewal in all areas of your life. Consider incorporate flowers and flower essences into your moon rituals, and set intentions related to manifestation, creativity, and prosperity.
- Strawberry Moon (June): The Strawberry Moon is named as such, because around this time, strawberries naturally ripen in nature. This is a time of sweetness, warmth, and creative energy. A wonderful time for connecting with nature, socializing, and enjoying the pleasures of life, especially strawberries!
- Buck Moon (July): The Buck Moon gets its name because right around this time, male deer now begin to grow their antlers. It's a great time to focus on your personal growth, knocking things off your to do list and for setting intentions related to progress, achievement, and expansion.
- Sturgeon Moon (August): Named for the sturgeon fish that are abundant this time of year. Now is a powerful time to tune into gratitude for all the blessings and abundance in your life. How do you honor your abundance, or strength, resilience, and inner wisdom?
- Corn Moon (September): Also sometimes called the Harvest Moon, this is a time of harvest and abundance. It's a great time for celebrating the abundance of the season, and for setting intentions related to prosperity, fertility, and growth. It's also a time for connecting with and nurturing your inner feminine energy.
- Hunter's Moon (October): Now is a time of reflection, preparation, and transition as the seasons begin to change and you begin to prepare for the winter months ahead. Reflect on all you've gained, learned and how you've grown in the summer months and set intentions for autumn. Also a good time to tie up loose ends and cultivate the right mindset for the change of the seasons.
- Beaver Moon (November): Named after the beavers that become active during this time of year, it is an opportunity for grounding, intuition, and inner reflection in preparation for winter. It's also a time for setting intentions related to self-care and nurturing your emotional well-being.
- Cold Moon (December): With this lunation we are heading into the cold, dark winter season. A time of rest, reflection, and renewal. Also a time for connecting with loved ones and finding joy in the simple pleasures of life.
By incorporating these traditional meanings into your full moon rituals, you can infuse your full moon practices with relevant themes surrounding the seasonal energy, empowering your journey through the seasons of the year.
Remember, whichever full moon, it is a powerful time for spiritual growth and awakening. By practicing gratitude, and reflecting on your journey, you can harness the energy of the full moon to manifest your deepest desires and connect with your higher self.
With love and bright blessings,