Healing Your Throat Chakra
Recently, I've noticed many people are experiencing throat chakra blockages. Whether it's because we're spending more time on social networks rather than talking in person or that, collectively, our lives aren't reflecting the fullness and truth of who we really are this increase in blockages in this vital chakra is alarming, but easily remedied.
It’s not always easy to tell if your throat chakra is blocked, but some signs include dental pain, frequent headaches, TMJ, sore throats, frequent interrupting during conversations and a lack of focus on the topic being discussed, lying, shyness, gossiping, manipulation, low self-esteem, and compulsive eating.
Those people who have a healthy fifth chakra are often leading fulfilling and distinctive lives. You’ll find that these people are in tune with their thoughts and feelings and know a great deal about their truth. They also make great listeners, writers, and speakers. It’s inspiring to be in their company and they can be influential as well as wonderfully creative.
Here are 25 ways to bring throat chakra healing into your life now.
- When you come across something in life that doesn’t sit well with you, make an effort to speak up or speak out. Maybe you write a letter to the editor, make a suggestion to a manager, or take a positive action to create change.
- Keep a journal and regularly review it. Try reading recent passages out loud.
- Listen to music that makes you want to dance and sing. Both activities will help all your chakras to flow freely, but especially your throat chakra.
- Go big and try your hand at public speaking.
- Trying humming, chanting, or singing. Find a spot and a time where you can have some solitude and really give yourself over to this spiritual practice. Don’t worry about how you think you should sound, just focus on your real and true sound and making it as strong as you can.
- Regularly do shoulder and neck rotations. Consider yoga asanas that directly impact the throat chakra – like Lion, Fish, and Plough.
- Blue gems or jewels in a necklace will have a positive effect on clearing blockages in your throat chakra.
- Take time to write down your goals and dreams. Even if you’re just day dreaming. Don’t censor yourself – these can be incredibly powerful lists.
- Visualize your throat chakra as a wheel that is spinning smoothly, giving and receiving energy in a healthy way. You can also visualize the color blue in your throat area. The color associated with this chakra is blue and the hue will have a positive impact on cleansing and healing.
- Find someone to listen to. Give yourself over to fully listening to them for five minutes. Do this without making comments – including non-verbal gestures. Then switch and have them do the same for you. Talk about whatever is on your mind. When both of you are finished, neither should comment on what the other said. Just thank each other for sharing.
- Stay hydrated. Regularly drinking plenty of clean, purified water is essential for throat chakra health, and really your health in general. Consider investing in a water purification system or filter if you haven't already.
- Find an affirmation that you like and use it habitually. You might try, “It is easy for me to speak my truth to others,” or “I allow my true self to be expressed in every facet of my life,” or “I love expressing my creativity, truth, and joy.”
- Develop a practice of regular chakra cleansing. Each of the seven major chakras impacts each other. If one is blocked, they may all be struggling. Likewise, when one is open and strong, it will support the others. Doing a daily meditation to cleanse all seven chakras will benefit the throat chakra.
- A massage can have so many benefits, one of which is getting stuck energy flowing again.
- Become more aware of the words you use. Try to speak with compassion and love. If you find yourself talking about negative things or you tend to be critical, try to consciously change that.
- Get in the flow of creation by creating something new. This could be a DIY project, a new habit or hobby, or even taking the time to creatively write, paint or draw.
- Use essential oils like lavender, sandalwood, or neroli. Place a drop under your nose to breathe in and dab some around your neck and ears.
- Use throat chakra stones or quartz crystals to raise the vibration of the chakra. Place the stones on the throat or area where you perceive an imbalance, and practice visualization or mindfulness meditation for 15-20 minutes.
- Exercise your mouth and voice. Try laughing yoga, big satisfying yawns, screaming at the top of your voice (great to do with kids!), kiss, roll your tongue, whistle… you name it.
- Try learning a musical instrument. Not only is it fun and cathartic, but using your voice in this way is a fast method to get energy flowing to your throat chakra.
- Start keeping a dream journal. When you aren’t doing a great job of expressing yourself during your waking hours, your spirit sometimes tries to express itself in dreams. Writing them down helps you to pay attention to the messages and hopefully gain some clarity about how to speak your truth and move in the direction of your Self.
- Unplug the phone (or, don’t recharge it!) and step away from texting. The most common ways we communicate today often serve as nothing more than static noise for our spirits. Emailing and messaging just keep our mind busy but do little for our Selves. Take a break, try 30 minutes. Then an hour, then half a day.
- Try silence. Though it seems counter intuitive to stop talking in order to relieve a blocked throat chakra, the time you spend in silence will likely bring you a great deal of calm and clarity. If you can, spend a half a day or a whole day in silence, opening yourself to the messages that your angels are sending.
- Try deep belly breathing. This one is a remedy for so many things in life, but for sure it brings a sense of peace and relaxation and gets energy flowing again. A regular deep breathing practice is a good time to check in with each of your chakras and intuitively gage how they fluctuate from day to day.
- Ask the angels for help! Archangel Gabriel specifically is wonderful for helping you to clear your channels of self expression so you can speak Divine love through your clear and open throat chakra.
As you work on any of these tips or practices, always keep your intention at the front of your mind. Not only is regularly being aware of your intentions a positive force for a blocked throat chakra, it’s also an easy way to make these practices more powerful. Being mindful of why you’re doing what you’re doing will give you more a strong connection to your angels and to the divine.
Wait… What Are Chakras Again?
Chakras are the major energy centers, or wheels, in the body. The concept of Chakras comes from the Vedanta Yoga Lineage in India, and these energy centers are seen as the centers in the physical body in which life force energy is able to anchor and animate an otherwise dead and inert physical vessel.
Interestingly, the areas in which the chakras as located can be scientifically observed today as nerve centers.
Traditionally, it's observed that we have seven major chakras in the body: the base or root chakra, sacral chakra in the pelvic area, solar plexus or navel chakra, heart chakra, throat chakra, third eye chakra, and crown chakra. Though there are many minor chakra energy centers throughout (and outside of the physical body).
The word chakra means “wheel” in Sanskrit, and a healthy chakra is a vortex of energy spinning around its own axis.
An unbalanced chakra implies that the wheel is spinning too slowly. This is called an underactive chakra and allows lower energies to enter your system and potentially cause disease.
On the contrary, if the wheel is spinning too fast, the chakra is overactive.
What Is The Throat Chakra?
The throat chakra is the energy center situated in between your collar bones.
It is related to the color blue, and its Sanskrit name is Vishuddha.
This chakra is related to communication, self-expression, and authority. The throat chakra is considered the portal through which all other chakras are expressed and constitutes the link between the heart and the mind.
Physically, the throat chakra regulates the thyroid and parathyroid glands, and the throat and neck areas.
The throat chakra is the fifth chakra since we count from the bottom up. It is part of the higher or spiritual chakras, together with the third eye chakra and crown chakra – and the heart, serving as the link between the higher and lower chakras.
It is said that this chakra is related to conscious creation, as opposed to the sacral chakra, which is related to subconscious creation or manifesting.
Why Does The Throat Chakra Get Out Of Balance?
The throat chakra is connected to the ability of speaking your truth. If you feel like it's not safe to speak your truth, you're not alone – it goes far back in time.
Our ancestors lived in times where community was more important than individuality for survival reasons, and diverging from the group by having your own opinion could be harmful and potentially deadly.
Because of these ancient traumas stored in our cellular memory, together with the fact that the throat chakra is closely related to fitting in and being accepted, the throat chakra might be one of the chakras that gets out of balance the most.
That's why these throat chakra stones can be a real gem!
Symptoms Of A Balanced Or Imbalanced Throat Chakra
When balanced, we find it easy to:
- Express our thoughts and feelings
- Be honest and communicate our truth without fear
- Step into authority and lead
- Speak with a clear, fluid voice
- Find creative flow
When imbalanced, some common issues that may occur are:
- Throat infections
- Neck pain
- Shortage of breath
- A lump in the throat
- Lack of ability to communicate clearly
- Feeling of being creatively blocked
- Tendency to lie, gossip, or feeling the need to constantly talk to avoid silence
- Frustration caused by the lack of communication
How Do You Unblock Your Throat Chakra?
* The throat chakra is stimulated by the vocal cords, so speaking and in particular singing or chanting mantras are medicine for the throat chakra.
* Surround yourself with the color blue in your home, clothes, and accessories.
*Work with healing crystals that resonate with a balanced throat chakra.
* Choose crystal clear communication even when it feels uncomfortable. That way, you reprogram your mind and build a habit of speaking what's on your heart – there's nothing more powerful!
* Aromatherapy: essential oils such as peppermint help in speaking your truth. Some dispensers use rollers with chakra stones to enhance the effect.
* Getting outside when the sun is shining. The throat chakra is related to the element of ether, meaning it wants to feel the connection to space. Walks in nature on a clear, cloudless day helps to balance the throat chakra.
* Meditate on your throat chakra, visualizing it covered in a soothing, blue light. See or feel this light increasing in frequency for each inhale and expanding outwards with each exhale. Healing crystals, such as one of the throat chakra stones, can be a good ally during meditations.
* Intentionally work on healing emotional wounds. Start by shining the light of awareness on what caused the wound – then choose to see things differently whenever a trigger comes up.
It can take time, but it will be worth it! Carrying your favorite of the throat chakra stones and crystals in your pocket can be a great reminder when emotions run high.
What Does A Blocked Throat Chakra Feel Like?
Physically, a blocked throat chakra gives a suffocating sensation or a feeling of having a lump in your throat.
You can literally feel the stuck energy! Because of its location close to the delicate windpipe, a blocked throat chakra might be the easiest chakra block to feel physically.
When the throat chakra is blocked, this can also manifest as physical pain or tension in the surrounding areas – such as neck or shoulder pain.
Emotionally, it feels like something is holding you back from speaking your truth, as if it's not safe to communicate what you feel. And since communication is key in all relationships with others, it is essential to healing the throat chakra to enhance your human experience!
What Does It Mean When Your Throat Chakra Is Overactive?
While an underactive throat chakra can lead to shyness or even inability to speak, an overactive throat chakra can lead to communication that is not aligned with your truth – such as talking behind someone's back, gossiping, and lying.
An overactive throat chakra can also lead you to be overly critical of yourself and impair your ability to listen.